An environmentally controversial topic. The placard has been photographed with wind turbines, solar panels, and with Hinckley Point Nuclear Power Plant. Read the poster for more information.
The Temporary Nuclear symbol was inspired by the peace symbol. Today it is a universal emblem for peace, however it’s origins have been forgotten. It was created by Gerald Holtom in 1958 for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. The lines represent ‘N’ and ‘D’ in semaphore; a way of communicating over long distances by holding flags in different positions. The symbol was used to campaign against the creation of nuclear weapons. Still today nuclear energy is associated with nuclear weapons, which is where some of the negative connotations originate back to. The Temporary Nuclear symbol follows the same guides by displaying the flag positions for a ‘T’ and an ’N’. The similarities between the two start to bridge the gap between what nuclear used to mean and what it means today. With the clearly displaced fourth line forging a new way of looking at nuclear power. The lines also mimic those of a wind turbine; one of a few renewable power sources nuclear can support until they can sustain us alone.
160x50cm acrylic laser etched placard
A2 digital print poster
Photographs from the A5 accompanying publication